What is bodyweight cardio and which exercises does it include? Can you really use these kinds of workouts to burn fat? Here, in this article, I’ll share some killer bodyweight cardio exercises that you can do and share a video with you that shows a complete workout that can help you burn fat and get lean in a hurry.
But, before I get to the actual exercises, let’s go over what this workout is and why you should do it. We all know that cardio workouts, when done right, can help you burn lots of calories and fat. But, let’s face it, doing cardiovascular workouts is often a big hassle. You need to have some sort of workout machine like a treadmill, elliptical, or bike to be able to do the workouts you like and this often means that you have to drive to the gym.
Even if you’re into outdoor cardio like running, you may find that it takes you a lot of time to get a really good workout and that running is not the best way to lose fat, at least not by itself, and not as most people do it. People who live in cities may even find it difficult to find a place in which they can run without having to dodge traffic.
In addition, many people find the traditional forms of cardio to be boring. They just can’t bring themselves to do it.
This is where bodyweight cardio workouts come in. With these workouts, you can find a great replacement for the boring traditional cardio or even the interval training workouts that you may be doing.
By doing some intensive circuit training bodyweight exercises as I’ll describe below, you can get an awesome cardio effect (as your racing heart will attest) and be able to burn off body fat fast in your home, out in the nearest park, or even in a hotel room when you’re traveling. As there is no fitness equipment required to do these exercises, you can do these fat loss workouts everywhere and anywhere.
These are exercises that involve both strength and movement so you’ll be getting a cardio and strength workout at the same time. One of the keys to a bodyweight cardio workout is that you keep your rests between sets short so that your heart beat remains high.
Here are some of the exercises that you can do (followed by a video with some more):
1. Burpees – An awesome exercises that incorporates upper body movement and strength. To do a burpee, go down into a push up position, do the push up, rise, and jump with both legs towards your hands so that you’re now crunching on hands and feet. Stand straight and jump high into the air. This all has to be done in one motion, of course. To make this really hard, try jumping with both knees bend toward your chest.
2. Jumping lunges - This is a favorite of mine. You go into a lunge and as you rise from it you jump and replace the position of your legs so that the one which was at the front is now at the back and vice verse. Now, you repeat the motion with your other leg.
3. Squats and jump - Go down into a squat and as you rise from it jump high. Your thighs and buttocks will be screaming for mercy by the time you finish your set.
4. Hand walking - Don’t worry, you’re not going to have to go into a hand stand to do this. Go down into a push-up position and start moving to the side on your hands, as if you were walking on them, using your feet as the center point of a circle. One set is to complete a full circle of movement with your hands alone.
5. Mountain climbers – Go to a push-up position. Bring your right food forward until it is on the floor close to your hands. Bring your right leg back while jumping and replacing it with your left. Your hands should remain on the floor. Do this back and forth over and over again fast. You’ll be panting for breath very quickly.
6. Sideway steps - As you can see in the picture at the beginning of this article, one bodyweight cardio exercise is to do sideway deep steps. To do these you just need to stand straight and then step to the side with a wide step and lower yourself as if in a lunge on that leg. Then, bring that leg back and repeat the motion with the other one.
These are just a few bodyweight exercises that, when combined, can give you an awesome cardio stimulation. That’s without mentioning jumping movements such as running in place or jumping jacks. There are many possibilities.
One excellent collection of bodyweight cardio workouts is provided by Craig Ballantyne. He is an expert on these kinds of workouts and compiled some of the best ones into a special ebook that I highly recommend. It’s called BodyWeight Cardio 3 and it’s the way for you to learn to burn fat without any equipment anywhere you want with short and intensive workouts.
You can watch a video of one of the workouts from this program below:
For more workouts from Craig Ballantyne visit BodyWeight Cardio 3. You’ll be able to burn off fat without using a single dumbbell. Craig Ballantyne is also the creator of the highly acclaimed Turbulence Training program.