People often have a distorted notion of how long it takes to lose 20 pounds and what you actually need to do to achieve this goal. This isn’t such a simple question and it can be a dramatic one. The reason is that the method with which you will lose weight changes according to how fast you want to do it. In some cases, doing things too fast can even cause you to fail.
If you read this article you will find how to really lose 20 lbs and the best ways to do it in various time frames. You will also learn what things you should avoid and what to really expect. If you don’t read it, I expect you will get suckered into some ineffective or outright scammy diet product or method that will probably results in long term weight gain and frustration.
I think that we need to start this article with a quick reality check: 20 pounds is a lot of weight to shed. It won’t happen overnight and it will require effort on your part. In case you stumble upon some article or promotion for a product that promises that you will lose 20 pounds in 3 days or even a week, it is highly likely that you need to turn around and RUN! Don’t spend any money on this product as it’s likely to end up as being a scam or just useless.
In an article I published a while ago I discussed how to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks and yes, it is possible to shed this kind of weight. However you need to be aware of a couple of points:
- Success is far from guaranteed.
- Most of the weight you lose is not fat. It will be made up of a lot of water.
- It will likely require an extreme fat loss diet method. I would probably say that you need a detox diet of sorts such as the Master Cleanse. This will not be an easy process to go through. Be aware of that before you rush into it.
So, unless you’re ready to go on a deprivation diet plan and really cut down what you eat, losing 20 lbs will take some weeks, not days. Accept it and move on. You will see a great improvement in how you look even when you lose the first 5 pounds so rejoice in that.
How Long Does it Really Take?
In my opinion, losing 20 pounds can easily take you 3 months. Yes, I said it. Don’t get disappointed. However, there are ways to shed more weight faster, such as in a month or even slightly less. In the Xtreme Fat Loss Diet plan, for instance, Joel Marion says you can lose up to 25 pounds in 25 days. This may not be so easy to achieve but it is realistically possible.
However, to make sure you don’t start feeling like there’s something wrong with you and that you can’t shed weight, all of a sudden, I say that 3 months is still a good time frame in which to lose 20 lbs. In addition, these pounds are more likely to be made up of fat than if you do it in a shorter time. Remember, it’s not just weight, but how you look as well.
Note: Starving yourself to lose weight is not a good idea either and will likely backfire and result in a long term weight gain. Don’t even try it.
To make sure you lose weight quickly and safely here are a few tips for you to use:
- Do 3-4 workouts each week. These workouts should include interval training cardio workouts and full body strength training. You don’t have to have a gym membership for this. An example of a home workout can be found here: Extreme Fat Loss workout at home
- Cut out the sugary sodas and alcohol from your diet. It’s not doing you any good, really. These are high calorie beverages that can add hundreds of daily calories to your diet without helping you to feel any less hungry. Go with water instead.
- Eat 4-6 small meals and snacks each day. This allows you to maintain a high energy level and reduces hunger.
- Eat a protein rich breakfast to help you curb your appetite naturally. Research shows that protein early in the day helps you to eat less calories.
- Get a goodnight sleep each night. 8 hours is the magic number to go for. I recommend trying to go to bed each night at about the same time and getting up each morning at the same time. It creates a habit out of good sleep.
If you do these things, you have a much better chance of losing 20 pounds faster than before. However, we’re still talking weeks here, not days.
It doesn’t have to take long to lose 20 pounds. You can do it in a matter of a few months. It’s time to stop looking for quick and effortless fixes and stick with what works: dieting and working out. This is the only real way to achieve a long term weight loss. One diet plan I recommend for this is the Truth About Abs program.