So, you’ve had a great holiday with friends and family but now you feel guilty. Perhaps you have a not to fond memory of all the delicious meals you ate too much in. Perhaps you’ve jumped on the scale and the number it showed shocked you.
Whatever post holiday weight gain blues have come upon you, don’t worry. In this article I will share some simple and effective tips to help you lose the holiday weight and get back on the right track.
You should move to get rid of the holiday pounds as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.
Here are the tips:
1. Replace all the sugar rich foods with healthier alternatives – After you’ve eaten the tasty deserts and enjoyed the sugar-rich drinks of the holiday, it may be hard to give up sugar. If you don’t want to “Cold Turkey” you need to find a healthier alternative. I combat my sugar cravings by eating one or two cubes of dark chocolate each day. I usually eat chocolate that is made up of 75% of cocoa or more.
2. Increase activity – The best way to burn off those holiday pounds before they take hold is to increase your level of activity. Time to put in a bit more time and effort into your workouts. Combine cardio workouts with intense strength training sessions 3 – 4 times a week to get back to a healthy and active routine.
3. Get a proven diet and fitness plan and follow it – Having a system to work with gives you structure, motivation, and focus. Now you know what you need to do at every step. This frees you from the need to figure things out for yourself. You just need to take action and follow through. A few programs that people find effective are the Xtreme Fat Loss Diet and the Diet Solution Proram.
4. Make sure you don’t get stressed out – Often, coming back from a holiday mood straight into your work and chores and obligation frame of mind can be stressful. This isn’t just unhealthy, it may also cause some hormonal imbalances in your body that increase storage of fat, especiall around the abdomen. Do some yoga or breathing exercises to reduce stress.
5. Get back to your eating routine – You may be feeling guilty for overeating during the holiday, especially on things that are undietary. Don’t be. Overeating on occasion can be a good thing and actually help you to lose pounds faster. What you need to do now is go right back to your regular and healthy eating routine. As soon as you’re back to normal, the easier it will be to lose those holiday pounds.
6. Set a firm goal – You need to decide how long it will take you to get back to your pre-holiday weight. Once you set this goal, write it down and keep this note where you can see it often so it stays in your mind. Having a firmly stated, written weight loss goal will motivate you to take the right steps to actually achieve it.
7. Forgive yourself – Too many people blame themselves when they gain weight. This is counterproductive. You need to be positive. This is the way you achieve your goals. Not by being hard on yourself but by being honest with where you are in life and optimistic about your ability to change your life for the better. So, don’t blame yourself. It happens.
There’s no reason why you can’t shed those holiday pounds quickly, without letting them take hold. Just get back to a healthy routine with regular exercise and you should be back on track before you know it.