Don’t let the “simplicity” fool you, because it’s also one of the best things you can do now that will help you achieve the results you crave with your health and physique goals, and maintain them long-term.
First, before I reveal this important, simple tip, I must encourage you to not dismiss it. Instead, be open-minded and apply this for at least a month. I guarantee you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
So, what is this incredibly simple, but highly effective, tip that will allow you to proudly Lift Like a Girl and Look Absolutely Awesome?
During your workouts, focus solely on improving your performance, and don’t worry about burning calories or body fat.
It’s truly that simple. Your sole purpose when you’re working out is to do better than you did before.
Now that you know what you should be doing, allow me to share a few ways you can accomplish this powerful goal. You should strive to do one of the following in every workout.
1) Use more weight/resistance. This is the most common way to improve your performance. For example, let’s say last week you used 50 pounds for goblet squats. This week, when you repeat that same workout, try to use 55 pounds.
2) Perform more repetitions with the same weight. Sticking with the example from number one, let’s assume you used 50 pounds for goblet squats and performed four sets for 10 reps each set. The next time you repeat that workout, stick with 50 pounds but strive for another rep in each set. In this example, that would be fours sets for 11 reps.
3) Perform a more challenging variation. This is a great method to use with bodyweight exercises. For example – let’s say you can do 15 traditional push-ups. You can make this more challenging by performing an advanced push-up variation, such as close grip or spiderman push-ups.
4) Perform an additional set. Going back to the example from number two, we’ll assume you did four sets of 10 reps with 50 pounds on goblet squats. The next time you repeat that workout, perform an additional set; that would be five total sets for 10 reps with 50 pounds.
5) Perform the same amount of work in less time. Let’s stick with the goblet squat example assuming you did four sets of 10 reps, and you rested for 75 seconds between each set. The next time you repeat that workout, you would stick with the same weight and perform four sets for 10 reps, but you would decrease your rest between sets by about 10 seconds. You would only rest 65 seconds between sets the next time you repeat the workout.
You can use any combination of the above methods in your workouts, depending on what exercises you’re using and your personal preferences. All the matters in the end is that you improve your performance, one way or another.
So there is your challenge. Focus on improving your performance with your workouts and nothing else. Don’t worry about burning calories or working out so hard you end up overly fatigued and lying in a pool of sweat. Just do a little better than last time.
Do this consistently for at least one month and I’m willing to bet you’ll start enjoying your workouts and get better results. The awesome thing about training for performance is that your workouts become fun, you’ll be more motivated to keep going back to the gym, and fat loss and looking better become wonderful side-effects.
Finally, if you want to enjoy your workouts that are tailored to your available workout time and experience level while reaping awesome results, and if you want to stop dieting and instead adopt simple, flexible eating patterns that fit your personality, lifestyle and preferences, then be sure to check out the Lift Like a Girl Guide. It’s the ultimate, no nonsense guide to lifting like a girl and looking absolutely awesome.