Let’s just say that in today’s information filled world, it can become quite a challenge to find a diet that actually works and is right for you. In this article I want to help you choose the best program for you and your needs and end the confusion and frustration once and for all.
How to Find the Best Diet For You
The first thing you should keep in mind is that there is more than one weight loss plan which can work for you. Indeed, there may be dozens. Often, it is a combination of 2, 3 diets throughout the process you go through to reach your target weight that will give you the best and fastest results.
Another thing you need to remember is that a diet can work for a lot of people yet be totally wrong for you. This can be due to physical reasons of all sorts and types or because the actual day to day routine of the plan is just not right for you. For instance, a raw food diet, such as the Eating For Energy plan, for instance, will not work for someone who loves meat simply because it is a vegan diet plan.
This means that while testimonials from other people are still one of the best ways to judge the effectiveness of a diet plan, they are not a guarantee that it will work for you.
The third thing you should remember is that the mere fact that you’ve failed to lose weight and keep it off with diets in the past says nothing about how you will do in the future with another plan. You don’t fail on a diet, a diet fails you.
Choosing the best plan for you requires you to ask yourself a few important questions:
1. What can I afford to spend – Some plans require you to buy special foods, get a gym membership, invest in fitness equipment, and so on. Add to that the cost of the program itself and you may wind up with a tidy sum that you need to spend just to get started. It is up to you to figure out how much money you’re willing to spend on your body and health. This may eliminate some of the more expensive plans right away.
2. What are your main goals – If all you’re interested in is to lose some weight and don’t care about getting fit or building muscles, then a nutrition based diet such as Fat Loss 4 Idiots, for example, may be the best and easiest option for you. If, however, your main desire is to get a flat and sexy stomach, then you need a more fitness oriented program such as Mike Geary’s Truth About Abs.
Take the time and figure out what your goals really are. Don’t be afraid to shoot for the moon since it is often possible to achieve a lot more than what you think is possible.
3. Can you workout and are you willing to do so – Exercising is very important for fat loss, but its secondary to your nutrition. What you eat and how you eat it is the most important element of a successful fat loss process. I do recommend exercising regularly, but if you simply can’t workout due to injury or you’re just unwilling to do so (why, oh why?), then you should avoid any fitness oriented plans and stick to nutrition plans only. One example for this kind of plan is the Medifast diet. Bear in mind that without exercising, your results will likely be slower.
4. How much time do you have – The best way to lose weight is gradually and without deadlines. However, life may surprise us with weddings, reunions, parties, and a host of other events. If you need to lose 10 pounds in 3-7 days, you can’t use just any ol’ program. You need something that’s a little more extreme, to be sure, but which can get you quick results. A detox diet may be one solution. Just remember that it may be more difficult to maintain this weight loss into the far future.
5. What you eat – Naturally, a vegan can’t do a program that includes eating meat, fish, or eggs, while a meat eater can’t have his steaks taken away from him or her. While you should be open to making significant changes to your nutrition (after all, you do want to lose weight), you don’t need to revolutionize your life and what you like to eat. It is up to you to figure out your “must have” foods and choose a program that allows them, even if it’s only once in a while.
6. How much you need to lose – Some diet plans are strictly for people who have a low number of pounds to shed. For instance, the Final Phase Fat Loss program is specifically for people who wish to lose the last 5, 7, or 10 pounds of fat, and actually includes special workouts to achieve that goal since the last pounds tend to be the hardest to lose. Other programs are more general.
7. Gender, age, and so on – Some programs are made for men or women, while others are made specifically for more mature people such as the Fit Over 40 program. You just need to make sure the program you choose applies to you. This is usually not a problem as most programs should work for both genders and for all adults regardless of their age.
Choosing a diet plan doesn’t have to be hard or time consuming. However, it does require some thought to do it right. Make sure to do your research but don’t take too long. You actually need to be on a diet to lose weight. Thinking about it is never enough.