The Insanity Workout with Shaun T is a 60 day home workout system. The program is recorded on 10 DVDs and all of the workouts use bodyweight only to make it simple to use it at home.
Insanity is a tough workout plan and it’s marketed as such. In fact, it’s one of the hardest programs I’ve yet to encounter so it’s not for anyone who isn’t ready to make a massive effort in the next 60 days.
Using a combination of intense cardio, strength workouts, plyometrics and core training, Shaun T takes you to your limit and beyond as he pushes you hard in these challenging workouts.
Each workout on the Insanity program is 45 minutes to slightly over an hour long. There is hardly any respite during the workouts which you need to do 6 days a week. The purpose of the program is to achieve an extreme fat loss and body transformation. Some say it’s like packing in a year worth of workouts into just 60 days.
The reason why the Insanity Workout system is so challenging is what Shaun T refers to as Max Interval Training, a system that takes traditional high intensity interval training and flips it upside down…
Max Interval Training
In ordinary interval training, you have high intensity segments to really push your body and lower ones to enable you to get your breath back. Normally, the tougher segments are shorter in length than the easier ones.
What Shaun T did was change up this order by making the high intensity segments much longer than the low intensity ones. This creates a much more intensive overall workout, one that can results in a faster calorie and fat burning. However, it is not without its price. The workouts in the Insanity DVDs are extreme. Many people will not be able to go through with the program, especially as it requires working out 6 days a week!
Equipment For the Program
Since this is a home workout system that uses your bodyweight only you don’t need to invest in any dumbbells, stability ball, or any other kind of equipment. However, the extreme nature of the program that involves a lot of jumping, running in place, and other impact exercises.
To reduce the damage on your bones and joints, you need to take care to cushion the impact as much as possible. A good pair of shoes are crucial for this plan. A workout mat of some sort on which you can do the workouts is also a good idea.
The program itself also recommends buying supplements for recovery purposes but this is a decision you need to make yourself. I can’t say whether or not these supplements are worth the extra cost. You need to decide that.
Burn fat but don’t lose muscle
The Insanity Workout DVD system is marketed as a way to burn lots of body fat and build muscle and improve definition. This is something that you may find problematic. The reason is that the workouts are so hard and burn so many calories that you may find yourself losing a lot of weight and some muscle too.
You may need to increase your calorie consumption while on this program to be able to maintain your muscle mass. This is something you need to experiment with so I do suggest keeping tabs on yourself throughout the 60 days of using this program.
Insanity comes with a diet manual and you may use that but I still recommend keeping a close lookout on yourself to avoid losing muscle mass.
Who is Insanity NOT right for
Shaun T created a program that definitely works as a fast fat burning system. However, this comes at a price:
- The program is hard on your joints due to all the jumping and rapid movements. If you suffer from knee problems or other joints issues, I am not sure this program is for you. Consult with your doctor before hand.
- If you’re a beginner, expect a tough adjustment to this program. The workouts are very very hard. I’m not saying you won’t be able to stick to the plan but be ready for it.
- This program should be used for 60 days straight. If you have a trip, vacation, or any other thing during the next 60 days that will prevent you from working out for an hour at home, wait until you have more free time to do the Insanity workout system.
Pros and Cons Insanity Workout
- High quality DVD fitness system.
- Shaun T does a great job at motivating you throughout the process
- You will lose a lot of fat during this program.
- Works your cardiovascular system, core, abs, practically your entire body.
- Energetic workouts which will keep things interesting.
- Fast results.
- Can be tough on the joints.
- May not be right for people who are not used to working out.
Here’s a video of the Insanity Workout system to give you a glimpse of what the program is all about:
If you’re looking for a home workout system that can burn a lot of body fat fast, this is it. However, be ready to make a tremendous effort in sticking to this plan, it won’t be easy. In fact, you can expect to have both physical and mental challenges while on this plan.
The Insanity Workout is tough but it can also be fun… if you’re up for it. It’s your decision to make ultimately.
Note: Insanity is a product of Beachbody whose other main product is the P90X Fitness system.