The P90X Extreme Home Fitness with Tony Horton is a system made up of a Set of 13 DVDs, Calendar, Fitness Guide, Nutrition Guide, & Workout Log.
It is currently one of the most popular fitness products in the world and is one of Amazon’s top sellers. Check out what other people say about it here: p90X Customer reviews
This is a review of the P90X diet and fitness program. I hope to provide you with a clear idea of what this program includes and help you decide whether or not you should use it to help you burn off body fat and get in shape.
Power 90 Extreme Home Fitness Overview
The P90X Home Fitness System is a 13 DVD set created by Tony Horton. The purpose of the system is simple: help you burn off body fat and develop lean muscle tissue by doing highly intensive home workouts.
The DVDs include cardio workouts and strength workouts for all of the major muscle groups. This is a daily fitness workout so expect to put in some time doing it. The program lasts for 90 days in total.
The 13 DVDs include the following (each workout is about 1 hour long):
- Introduction DVD which reveals the fundamentals of the program
- Chest and Back strength exercises – Working on your two upper body large muscle groups
- Plyometrics – a cardio routine based on jumping (also known as Plyo X). This can be highly intensive.
- Shoulders and Arms – Various exercises to tone and strengthen shoulders, biceps, and triceps. Upper body lesser muscle groups workout
- Yoga X – A Combination of stretching, cardio, and breathing exercises. A more laid back workout but still challenging.
- Legs and back – Extensive legs and back workout. Many exercises for an upper and lower body workout.
- Kenpo X – Intense cardio workout involving kicking and punching. Highly intensive.
- Stretch DVD – Improve flexibility and reduce risk of injury. Very important for any active person.
- Core Synergistics – A workout DVD which focuses on the core muscles and serves as a foundation for your entire body.
- Chest, shoulders, and Triceps – Strength exercises for 3 upper body muscle groups.
- Back and biceps – A complete workout for these two muscle groups.
- Cardio X – A cardio workout with low impact exercises. Great for people with joint problems.
- Ab Ripper X – Intensive abs exercises to help you tone your stomach.
As you can see, the DVDs cover the entire body, both cardio and strength. You also get a nutrition guide, a workout log to monitor your progress, and a fitness guide.
All of the workouts can be done at home with minimal equipment.
One exercise product which I do recommend getting for this system is this chin up bar: P90X Chin-Up Bar
Note: These can be quite strenuous workouts so make sure you’re up for it and build your fitness levels gradually.
How Does P90X Work – Muscle Confusion
P90X works on the concept on muscle confusion. You see, our body gets used to working out in a specific way. If you do the same exercises, over time, your body will grow accustomed to them and it will stop affecting it.
The P90X system helps you change your workouts from one week to the next to create muscle confusion. This way, your muscles never become used to your workouts and they continue to develop. This is true for both cardio and strength workouts.
P90X helps you to avoid the fitness plateau that your body enters into by showing you how you can rearrange the various exercises in the DVDs to fit your current workout level. This helps you get a better workout for your goals.
At the time of this writing, the P90X program has 293 reviews on Amazon and 243 of them are 4-5 stars: an 84% approval rate which is phenomenal for any fitness product.
P90X Home Fitness System Pros and Cons
- Has excellent testimonials
- Comes with a nutrition guide
- Has both cardio and strength workouts
- Provides great motivation to workout
- Works the entire body
- Can be done at home
- Highly effective for various fitness goals
- Videos of exercises help you maintain proper form
- May be a bit exensive for some people at $150 approximately
- Can be quite hard for people who aren’t fit at all
P90X Extreme Home Fitness is an excellent program for men and women who wish to shed body fat and build lean muscle tissue. The program is hard but delivers results.
I believe that this extensive DVD set is worth the price. Tony Horton does a great job keeping you motivated to workout harder. You work on your entire body and you can see fast and impressive results.
This program has excellent reviews and is highly recommended.